If you are dealing with a painful or serious illness, special care is available to help control your symptoms and stress and make you more comfortable. This service is called Palliative Care. (Pronounced pal-lee-uh-tiv)
Palliative Care is the medical specialty focused on relief of pain and other symptoms related to serious, life-threatening illnesses. The goal is to improve a patient’s and their family’s quality of life. Palliative Care is appropriate at any point in an illness. It can be provided at the same time as curative treatment. The goal is much more than comfort. Palliative Care involves providing meticulous attention to the control of pain and other symptoms. Palliative care supports the patient’s emotional, spiritual and cultural needs and maximizes functional status.
The Palliative Care program provided at Pikeville Medical Center can offer you:
- Relief from distressing symptoms including: pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, constipation, nausea, loss of appetite, numbness and sleeping problems
- Strength to carry on with everyday life
- Improved ability to tolerate medical treatments
- Better understanding of your condition and your choices for medical care
Your insurance will cover Palliative Care
Most insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid, cover Palliative Care services. It is handled like other medical services, such as Oncology or Cardiology.
PMC's Palliative Care Team
Getting Palliative Care is easy
Just ask for it
Getting Palliative Care is as easy as asking your
doctor for a referral. The palliative care team works together with your primary care physician, allowing you to keep your local doctor.
For more information, call the Palliative Care Team at 606.218.4722.
Goals of PMC’s Palliative Care program are to:
- Provide active care for persons with an advanced medical illness, especially those with chronic and progressive life-limiting conditions
- Help each patient reach his or her goals to have a good quality life
- Provide a support system to help patients and their families to live as comfortable as possible
Those who live with a serious illness may face some hard choices. It is a common experience for people to seek out specialists for assistance as they consider all available options.
Experts from our Palliative Care Program are available, through a consult from the attending physician, to help with difficult decisions including treatment options and other issues.
Palliative Care at
Pikeville Medical Center
makes all the difference
At PMC, our exceptionally trained Palliative Care Team includes physicians, nurses, chaplains and social workers. Together with your doctor, we will make sure you receive:
Begin Palliative Care early
- Expert treatment for your pain and symptoms
- Close communication about your illness and treatment choices
- Coordination of your care among all of your health care providers
- Emotional and spiritual support for you and your family
- The best inpatient and outpatient care possible
- Referral and coordination of home care services
- 24-hour support
Palliative Care can occur at the same time as other treatments for your illness. It does not depend upon your prognosis, so there is absolutely no reason to wait. Pain and other symptoms affect your quality of life. These symptoms can have a big impact on your family. Our Palliative Care Team can help.
Palliative Care is available to you at any time during your illness, whether you are at home or a patient in the hospital. Unlike hospice, you can also receive Palliative Care at the same time as Curative Care.
For more information, contact
PMC’s Palliative Care Team
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
After regular business hours, please call
606-218-3500 and the receptionist will have a
member of our team paged.
Our mission is to provide quality regional health care in a Christian environment.
Pikeville Medical Center | 911 Bypass Road | Pikeville, KY | 41501
©2005-2013 Pikeville Medical Center | E-mail our Webmaster to report Website problems.