On Monday, September 25th, the first patients were welcomed into the brand-new expanded space at the Lawson Cancer Center (LCC) on the 11th floor of the Pikeville Medical Center Clinic Building. On its first day open, 15 patients received specialized care in the 24 additional treatment rooms created by a nearly $5 million grant from an Abandoned Mine Lands program.
The eagerly anticipated ribbon-cutting ceremony celebrated this historic milestone of the Lawson Cancer Center, a state-of-the-art facility designed to provide patients with the utmost comfort and convenience during their fight against cancer and journey toward healing.
The Abandoned Mine Lands Economic Revitalization (AMLER) Program funded the Lawson Cancer Center’s expansion project. The new infusion area offers:
- State-of-the-art treatment facilities – The new facility boasts cutting-edge equipment and technology, providing patients with access to a high level of care.
- Enhanced patient comfort – Patients will find comfort in the thoughtfully designed treatment rooms and waiting areas, offering serene views and a soothing atmosphere.
- Expanded services – The new space provides a comprehensive range of services, including chemotherapy, radiation therapy, immunotherapy and access to clinical trials.
- Supportive resources – A team of dedicated oncologists, nurses and support staff is available to offer guidance, support and educational resources to patients and their families.
- Convenient location – Located on PMC’s main campus, the Lawson Cancer Center is accessible to patients across the eastern Kentucky region.
The expansion is a significant step forward in further enhancing cancer patients’ access to quality care in a compassionate environment.
Donovan Blackburn, PMC Chairman, President and CEO, expressed his gratitude for the AMLER Grant funds, collaboration and community support that made this expansion possible, stating, “We are incredibly proud of the Lawson Cancer Center and what it represents. This facility stands as a symbol of our dedication to providing world-class healthcare right here in Eastern Kentucky,”
PMC is committed to delivering exceptional patient care and advancing medical innovation and continues to be at the forefront of medical excellence, not just in the region but in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. The Lawson Cancer Center at Pikeville Medical Center proudly serves patients and their families, offering hope and healing in the fight against cancer.